Monday, September 7, 2020

Correction Concerning George Rödiger

Now that I am retired, I have been working hard on creating a database of abstracts from the Church records of Tann, Hersfeld-Rotenburg, Hesse.
I have completed the goal of abstracting the marriage records from 1830-1850 and connecting as many of those couples to my tree as possible.

Currently, I am working on the baptismal records from the Churchbook covering 1830-1909.

My immediate goal is to abstract the records from 1830 through 1850, then add all of these children to their parents in my Family Tree on ancestrydotcom. It is taking me about 2 hours to abstract the records for each year. At this moment I am finishing the year 1837.

Which brings me to the reason for this Blog post: I found an error in a baptismal record that I have already placed in my tree on Ancestry and I want to set the record straight.

The record is for George Rödiger, but probably not the George Rödiger our USA Roedigers are familiar with. This George is the son of Justus Rödiger, the son of Johann Heinrich Rödiger and Anna Sidonia Schneider. Johann Heinrich and Anna Sidonia were also the parents of Johann Tobias Rödiger. And he should be very familiar to any Roediger or Eichenauer in Ohio who has been following this Blog. Johann Tobias first married Anna Eva Heÿer and together they had Anna Katharina Rödiger who married Johann Friedrich Eichenauer, progenitors of the Eichenauers in Ohio. After the death of Anna Eva Heÿer, Johann Tobias married Anna Margaretha Eichenauer (Johann Friedrich's sister) and together they had (among others) Justus, father of John Henry who came to Ohio; George, widower, who brought his four children to Ohio, then married Anna Grosse; and Conrad Tobias who came to Ohio as a 15 year old boy.

So, George Rödiger, of the corrected baptismal record, was a first cousin of those I highlighted in red, above. And here is the image of the first 5 columns of his baptismal record.


I mis-translated the date "dreißigster Dezember" as 17. December. It should be translated "30". If it had actually been the 17th, it would have been written "siebzehnter". EDITED

Many of the letters are probably unfamiliar to you. These records, for the most part, were written in the old German script. For those unfamiliar with the German alphabet  the "ß" character equals a double "s" and the Umlaut (those two dots over the vowels) transcribes as: ä (ae), ö (oe), ü (ue). I haven't figured out the ÿ equivalent yet. Maybe one of my German readers can instruct me on this.
EDITED: (have received some help with the "ÿ" from some German friends--the 2 dots over the "y" do not constitute an umlaut, but rather just help to identify the letter "y" when handwritten. So when typing this letter, whether in English or German, it should appear as "y" without the 2 dots above the letter.)

But, here is my translation:
Column 1: George was the 154th birth to be recorded in the 1830-1909 church book of Tann.
Column 2: His parents lived in Tann at House number 11, and presumably that was where he was born.
Column 3: He was born on the 30th of December [1837] in the 3rd hour of the morning (Morg. 3 Uhr), ie. 3am.
Column 4: He was baptized on the 1st of January 1838.
Column 5: He is listed as a boy/male (Knabe), and given the name George.

The record is spread over two pages with three more columns, but since the Remarks column was blank I didn't include it here:

Column 6: The names of George's parents--Justus Rödiger, a farmer (primarily of land cultivation Landbauer) and his 2nd wife (Ehefrau), Anna Katharina, born (geb.) Gossmann (Goßmann), from Friedlos. Here is a link to Google Maps so you can see the location of Tann in relation to Friedlos--https://goo.gl/maps/LsvZRLvd6xXADTYj7

Column 7: The name of the Baptismal Sponsor (Gevater)--George Heÿer, son of the brick maker (Ziegelbrenner), Johannes Heÿer.

NO EXTRA CHARGE: the brick maker, Johannes Heÿer is George's 4th cousin, and first cousin of Anna Eva Heÿer (highlighted in blue text above). I'll bet even the church recorder wasn't aware of those facts.

The Man Behind the Curtain,
Stephen Rödiger




No comments:

Post a Comment